Updated May 1, 2020
Dear Members, Supporters, and Friends of the Buffalo Museum of Science and Tifft Nature Preserve:
As we all continue to closely monitor news surrounding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), we at the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences would like to reassure you that our commitment to the health and well-being of our guests and community members remains at the center of all we do.
The Buffalo Museum of Science and the Darling Environmental Education Center at Tifft are temporarily closed. We believe this closing is in the best interest of our guests and community at large. It is important to note that there are no known cases of COVID-19 at the Museum or Tifft Nature Preserve.
As the situation evolves we will continue to follow directives issued by the CDC and government officials. You can check the Buffalo Museum of Science and Tifft Nature Preserve websites, as well as the Museum and Tifft Facebook pages for updates.
Here is some important information you should know during our temporary closing.
- Most trails are currently open, but restrooms in the Darling Environmental Education Center are not accessible due to our temporary closure. To review available trails click here.
- In partnership with the City of Buffalo, Tifft’s boardwalks and parking lot have been closed to reduce congestion and encourage safe social distancing. Visitors may park in the designated parking spots along Fuhrmann Boulevard and enter the Preserve on foot.
- We appreciate our guests’s understanding that we are maintaining our policy that pets are not allowed on the Preserve.
- For your comfort and safety, we recommend wearing long pants and closed shoes, such as sneakers and boots, during your visit.
- We have canceled all programs, camps and events scheduled to take place between March 14 and May 15, 2020. If you’ve registered for a program during this time, please check your email for information and/or instructions regarding your ticketing options.
- The Museum and Tifft have launched new virtual ways to engage with the community as part of our commitment to carrying our mission forward despite our temporary closure. Follow our social channels for the Museum and Tifft for Virtual Science Fair activities on weekdays and Virtual Museum Tours on weekends.
- In response to our temporary closure, the Museum will extend new and existing memberships to fulfill our 12-month commitment to you. Regardless of whether we are closed for two weeks or two months, we will extend your membership by that amount of time based on our reopening date.
Lastly, we want you to know that we, along with other area arts and cultural organizations, need your support to continue advancing our mission. Admission, membership and event proceeds are critical to the Museum and Tifft’s ability to serve our community members and schools. Please consider ordering or renewing your membership during this time, or making a donation to the Buffalo Museum of Science or Tifft Nature Preserve to support our efforts to elevate science literacy in our community.
Our hearts are with all who are impacted by COVID-19 and we are committed to doing our part in preventing the spread of this virus. For updates and complete guidelines on preventing the spread of COVID-19, please visit the CDC website at CDC.gov.
We look forward to having you back to the Museum and Tifft again soon.